Sunday, April 09, 2006

To Be or Not To Be, with marinara sauce

Steve Coombs, actor and licensed driver, has put his pants back on (probably) and the final curtain has come down on A Picture of Dorian Gray at the Boston Court Theater in Pasadena, California. I received the following email this morning from Steve and I wanted to share it with you:

Hey Jim,
love the fun... you got to laugh at yourself right? I hope that regardless of the quality, my next exploits will be at least blogable.
best,
steve coombs - breathing, eating, naked licensed driver.


I like a good sport, and he has certainly been one about all my silliness. Links to the various posts that mention him are below.

I remembered this morning that I once went to a performance of Hamlet in Austin in which Hamlet was naked, for the entire performance. A little nudity in Hamlet has become common, but this guy never wore anything. Being Austin, of course, there is the real possibility that he arrived at the theater naked and just never bothered to put on a costume (something that anyone who has ever been to Austin will understand completely). The play was at an experimental theater in a big old house, which meant that not only was Hamlet naked, he was also naked amongst the audience much of the time. At the end of the play, the cast carried out tables, we in the audience appropriately arranged our chairs around them, and the cast served dinner, in costume. In the case of Hamlet, he wore an apron. Again, it being Austin, no one thought any of this to be odd, and we all had a very good time.

Steve Coombs, actor, licensed driver (March 16, 2006)
Looking for Dorian Gray in all the wrong places (March 31, 2006)
Dorian Gray arrested for murder. (April 7, 2006)
Seek Knowledge (April 7, 2006)
"I can see clearly now, my pants are gone!" (April 9, 2006)

1 comment:

Jay Noel said...

It seems Mr. Coombs has a good sense of humor.

As far as naked Hamlet...I know experimental theatre is supposed to really push the envelope and such, but still.

There is something rotten in Denmark, alright.
-------------------------------
Oddly, I don't remember too much about the play, but I remember the dinner being very yummy.