Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Go nuts!

It's that time of year again, time for the

Mount Sterling Testicle Festival
June 18, 2006
Mount Sterling, Illinois

[Am I the only one who thinks it's inherently funny that they're holding the "Testicle Festival" on Father's Day?]

You may know them as Mountain Oysters, Rocky Mountain Oysters, Prairie Oysters, Calf Fries, or huevos de toro (bull’s eggs). They are the balls of the bull that are peeled, coated in flour, pepper and salt, and then deep fried. In Mount Sterling, they calls them what they are -- testicles -- and they have a big party every year.

I updated my Top Ten List from last year's festival:

Top Ten Things Overheard at the Mount Sterling Testicle Festival
10. "I told Dave, 'Catch the bull by the horns, by the horns!'"
9. "Lost mine in the divorce."
8. "Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't."
7. "I don't care what those emails promise, it ain't gonna happen!"
6. "I'll have a 'Big Man on Campus' sandwich."
5. "Envy has nothing to do with it Janet, I just think referring to your sandwich as "Antonio Banderas" is in bad taste."
4. "What do you mean, you wonder if the mailman is here?"
3. "Putting them in your pants was only funny the first time George!"
2. "We're eating WHAT!"
And, the Number One Thing heard at the Mount Sterling Testicle Festival:
1. "No wonder them cows were contented."

3 comments:

UnHoly Diver said...

This is just plain nuts! (Sorry, I couldn't resist)
-----------------------------------
but very thrifty of them not to waste anything

David Amulet said...

I thought the top line was:

"I'm having a ball!"

-- david
----------------------------------
"I chew my nails and I twiddle my thumbs

I'm real nervous, but it sure is fun

Come on baby, drive me crazy

Goodness, gracious, great balls of fire!!"

:P fuzzbox said...

When I was a kid growing up on the ranch, an old cowboy taught me the quick way to eat mountain oysters. Rather than cleaning and peeling off the hard skin around the testicle, rolling them in flour, and frying them. He just chunked them on the branding fire until they popped and sucked out the inside. They may be better fried but this is cool. When I was a kid it reminded me of jiffy pop.