Wednesday, November 16, 2005

History Is Just Too Full of Facts

First there was Troy, the movie starring Brad Pitt as a hunkier Brad Pitt. It was probably just a made up story to begin with, but let's face it, if you take the gods and the gay out of a Greek tragedy all you have left is angry men in skirts.

Now there is Rome, on HBO, which stars some guy as Julius Caesar and another guy as Mark Antony and a bunch of other people as a bunch of other people. What were the original two episodes on the BBC were expand to three episodes on HBO because they figured Americans would not otherwise know enough about history to know what was going on, then they switched around people, and places, and times so that little of it matches actual history anyway.

Also now playing is The Virgin Queen on PBS, a two-parter about Elizabeth I of England. To quote Marge Simpson, Elizabeth was made queen so British actresses would have a part to play when they got old. I've only seen the first part so far but it's mostly about whether Elizabeth and her childhood buddy Robert Dudley were secretly lovers, which they denied. If they were, of course, Virginia would have to be renamed Lewinskia. Otherwise, the writers seem to have mostly moved around key events and made up private conservations.

13 comments:

Scott said...

Glad to see you back Jim!!!

Jim said...

it was either put it back up, or drown David to get him to shut up about it

Scott said...

Well either way, it's cool that you came back!

Shirley said...

(((Hugs))) for taking the leap of faith in humanity.

Jim said...

I tried leaping into SpaghettiOs, but the little pasta O's kept getting in my ears

stan said...

Comments or no comments, it is good to see you back, Jim.

You can still drown David if you want to. In SpaghettiOs.

Jim said...

always tempting, but I need him to clean out the gutters first

SD27 said...

So, let me get this straight. The second blog was actually you even though THAT jim said it wasn't?
Glad I didn't delete you from my blogroll and glad the "real" jim is back.

Jim said...

the guy in Texas was the third it's jim, and that wasn't me -- if you count the woman who took the original blog's name and also wasn't me, the second blog that was me was actually the third blog (albeit only the second blog that was me), and the Texas guy's blog was actually the forth blog (although only the second it's jim blog that was me) -- the second blog that was me, or the third blog if you are also counting the blogs that were not me, was sometimes maintained by my second cousin once removed (Dave) who had a blog of his own for a short period of time on which he posted semi-naked pictures of himself and his friends until his parents found out, so that was either his first blog or his second blog depending on whether you count the posts that he did on my second blog (which, of course, was the third it's Jim blog if you count the one that was not me) -- I hope this clears up any confusion

meagan said...

Ummm, very clear. I am just glad the mystery is solved and that we get to talk to you again!

love meagan

Jim said...

the mystery still remain as to who that woman is who grabbed the first site, although I have an idea

hehe -- I typed grapped instead of grabbed, spellcheck caught it, darn dyslexia

SD27 said...

So the guy in Texas that jumped on the
http://www.its-jim.blogspot.com/
url the second you deleted it gave it up already and you have it back?

I smell tuna but you are making me laugh again and that's what I missed.

Jim said...

the guy in Dallas is a friend who was sitting on the blog name for me, he's a radio guy which is why he posted all that ratings stuff --the nanosecond that you "delete" a blog, someone else can register for it, there is NO slack time -- so, while we were on the phone, he filled in all the blanks on his browser to register the name, when I clicked "delete" and he click "submit" (the code word was "cowboy") -- when I wanted the name back, we just reversed the process (the code word was "corn field") -- oddly enough, that process deletes all of the comments, but not the pictures, associated with a blog (I have not checked to see if the pictures are eventually also deleted from the blogger server) -- and yes, I did wear my X-Files t-shirt both times!!!!