Friday, May 12, 2006

Inquiring minds want to sleep...

I watched two shows this evening that the TIVO had recorded earlier in the week. The first was the final episode of 7th Heaven. I always like to watch the final episodes of TV shows, to see how they end. Since I had not watched any of the previous episodes of 7th Heaven, however, this was a little challenging but I think I figured most of it out.

The series was about a father, who is a minister, and a mother, who appears to have popped out kids on a regular basis for about 30 years.

The story line of the final episode was that the gay son was supposed to get married that day, to a girl who was in love with some other guy. Much of the show consisted of people telling the gay son and each other why he should not get married. I kept yelling "because he's gay" at the TV but all of them appeared to be in total denial about that. At the very end of the episode, a woman who had not been seen before in the episode shows up with a baby and intimates that the gay son is the father. The infant looks nothing like him so a paternity test should pretty well resolve that issue. They also did incessant flashbacks to show that this guy had the same haircut when he was five years old as he does today. I'm not sure why that was important to the plot. Like many other things in the episode, the woman with the baby seemed like a set-up for a follow-up made-for-TV reunion movie.

There was also a young, hunky Scottish waiter at the wedding reception, which they held in spite of the fact that there was no wedding. His accent was so thick that Sean Connery would have had trouble understanding him. He was the only one who knew that fingernail-polish remover would remove the moustaches that the two youngest sons had drawn on each other -- oddly, he had fingernail-polish remover with him. I thought maybe he was going to be the love interest for the gay son in the reunion movie but they quickly paired him with one of the daughters.

In a scene that truly tested the limits of credibility, an older daughter reveals that she is going to be having twins, quickly followed by an older son saying his wife is going to be having twins, which led to the husband or boyfriend of yet another older daughter to reveal that they also were going to be having twins. The husband or boyfriend had clearly just gotten out of rehab where, oddly enough, they had confiscated his tie. The daughter was spliced into a couple scenes but I had the feeling she was no longer actually associated with the show. The birth of three sets of twins should fill at least one hour of a two-hour reunion special!

The one person that I did recognize in all this was George Stults, who played the husband of one of the daughters. He and his brother (Geoff) where on an episode of Trading Spaces at the very height of its popularity. They lived in a cheap apartment with no beds (mattresses on the floor). I remember it because Geoff jumped off the roof of the apartment building into the swimming pool. Kewl, very LA!

The other show that I watched was Gilmore Girls, which I have to admit that I have been watching since its first episode. It would not be tolerable without the TIVO since you can fast forward whenever one of the Gilmore girls is talking, rambling, babbling, whatever you want to call what they do. I believe the appropriate term is logorrhea -- "pathologically excessive and often incoherent talkativeness or wordiness that is characteristic especially of the manic phase of manic-depressive disorders" (also know as "diarrhea of the mouth"). I started watching because Edward Herrmann is in it, as Richard Gilmore, and also Kelly Bishop, as Emily Gilmore. They are both terrific, classy actors! It also has the guy whom Elaine decided was "sponge worthy" in a famous episode of Seinfeld. It was the last episode of the season so it was pretty much the Gilmore-Girl equivalent of "Who shot JR?"

5 comments:

Jay Noel said...

I've never seen a full episode of either show, but I do like to see series finales. There's going to be a ton this spring, like "West Wing" and "Will & Grace."

Hmmm...NBC is going to be in the hole very soon.
---------------------------------------
the money is in movies, to get good scripts for Universal they'll short-change the TV network (where the money is actually in the local newscasts of their owned and operated TV stations, WNBC in New York alone probably makes more than the whole TV network)

The Ebb said...

I'm back - new blog address

http://wavnotdrow.blogspot.com/
--------------------------------
time off for good behavior? :)

:P fuzzbox said...

Logorrhea, would have to have a wordy definition wouldn't it.
----------------------------
hehe

I had to look up the definition, I had always just heard it called "verbal diarrhea" -- my grandmother had a friend who talked so much she would gag herself

Coley said...

Whew! So, I didn't miss out on anything because I didn't see the 7th Heaven finale. I stopped watching the show a couple of years ago because it was driving me crazy. The acting was terrible, the plotlines were ridiculous, and it was the most unbelievable portrayal of the life of a minister's family I have ever seen. (I say that as a minister's daughter.) Thank goodness that train wreck hour of television is finally over!

I did see the Gilmore Girls season finale. I have been watching the show since the second season, and I personally love the . . . what did you call it? Logorrhea? The "bantering", as I like to call it, is the sole reason I started watching the show in the first place!

It's been so long that I can't remember, who did shoot JR?
-------------------------------------------
It was Kristin Shephard, Sue Ellen's Sister, who was pregnant with J.R.'s illegitimate child -- Kristin shot J.R. in an act of revenge for trying to force her out of Dallas and attempting to frame her for prostitution.

The final episode did not seem much like a minister's family or any family. I realy do think it was all a setup for a string of TV movies.

You really thought that Lorelai babbling on about purple wallpaper while she was trying to get Luke to marry her made any sense?????? We would probably both agree that the best scenes are the dinner time banter between Lorelai, Rory, Emily, and Richard -- just terrific writing.

Stars Hollows' town square, including the Gazebo, Luke's Diner and Doosey's Market were used in the movie The Music Man (1962), and the TV show The Dukes of Hazzard (1979). The exterior of Lorelai's house was Uncle Jesse's house on The Dukes of Hazzard.

Kirk is preparing for a date, and wants to get the best seat at Luke's:
Kirk: Say I was Tom Cruise. Where would you seat me?
Luke: In an acting class.

Coley said...

Oh dear, I hope they don't drag the 7th Heaven agony with a ridiculous TV reunion movie. Let it go already! That show has absolutely run its course!

Yes, I did think Lorelai's babbling about purple wallpaper made sense. It was so . . . Lorelai! I loved it!

And I do sincerely enjoy Friday Night Dinners with Emily and Richard! The show really does have amazing writing!

A little trivia that you probably already know, but I heard that the script for each episode is about two times longer than the script for any other one hour drama because of all of the witty banter and fast talking that happens during the show. They do say a lot!

And let me just say, Kirk is a great character! The show really does have an awesome cast!
--------------------------------------
it's probably the same thing as the end of Titanic -- women thought "oh how romantic" when she threw the necklace overboard, guys thought "that stupic bxxxx!"

Paris: Sick people freak me out.
Rory: You're pre-med!