Saturday, March 10, 2007

I want my school taxes back, Part 62

I had a salesman in the house today. Maybe 28, good suit, nice haircut. He asked if I had a calculator that he could use, since his wife must have taken his out of his briefcase.

I was entitled to a 25% discount since he represents a company I have done business with before. I gave him the old calculator that I keep in a kitchen drawer.

"There's no percent sign, how do I do a percent?"

"It's a really old calculator, you'll have to multiply."

"By what?"

"point two five, enter the total and multiply by .25"

"That'll work?"

The only part that I left out of this is that I had to write out ".25" for him on a piece of paper.

6 comments:

Carnealian said...

Wow, someone more mathematically challanged than me. I didn't think it was possible.

Have you been watching "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?" It's pretty amazing the stuff we purportedly learned as children that just boggle my mind now.

sleepyrn said...

One of my nurse colleagues had to give 100mg of a specific IV antibiotic. The vial contained 500mg in 10ml. She asked me how to figure out the correct amount. The next day she had to ask another nurse cuz she couldn't remember.

Doesn't that make you feel safe if you have to go to the hospital?

BTW - 2ml mixed in a 100ml bag of saline will give you the right amount - and I didn't even need a calculator!!!

Jim said...

carne -- there is a theory that the first seven grades are just a waste, that what is taught is too advanced for not fully developed brains, and that everything in the first seven grades could be easily learned by eighth grades in seven months.

sleepy -- hospitals are wonderful places unless you are sick, then you are in real danger.

:P fuzzbox said...

The ignorant never fail to amaze me.

Jim said...

fuz -- I also hate the blaming someone else -- 'my wife took it out of my briefcase and didn't put it back' -- gosh, shouldn't you have check that you had the necessary tools of your trade????

my other question, was how does this guy figure tips???

:P fuzzbox said...

He probably doesn't tip and blames it on losing his calculator.