Sunday, June 28, 2009

Must be authentic, it's spelled with a Z

There is a sign in a yard along the highway coming back from town that reads HANDSPLIT COOKING WOODZ FOR SALE. How many people could there be who still cook with wood?

My grandmother had a wood cook stove. She also had an electric stove but she preferred the wood stove. I never could tell any difference with foods cooked on top but most things cooked in the cook-stove oven were definitely better. The only analogy I can think of is the difference between a pizza cooked in an ordinary kitchen oven and one cooked in a brick-lined pizza oven. Cakes, pies, breads, even roasts cooked in the wood stove were far superior in both texture and taste.

But, back to my original question: How many people could there be who still cook with wood?

3 comments:

moni said...

My grandma cooked with wood. That was a long time ago in St. Louis. She had a wood cookstove in her kitchen. All her foods tasted good and maybe the wood helped.

Shirley said...

I don't, but I definitely "wood" if I could.

Jim said...

Moni -- I think it was the penetrating heat from all of that hot steel -- she had a 'summer kitchen' but stopped using it before I was born -- in the Fall she used corn cobs instead of split cedar.

Chicken -- shame on you, and really funny!